Franklin D. Roosevelt and the New Deal
In the 1930s, the United States was on the verge of collapse, caught in the middle of the most severe depression it had experienced. The government was ill-equipped to deal with this depression, struggling to find ways to help the country recover. Then, in 1933, President Franklin D. Roosevelt started to put into the motion the acts contained in the New Deal, which may have been instrumental in the country’s recovery even if it did create other problems. The New Deal became a lasting part of Roosevelt’s legacy before he left office.
- Great Depression Timeline: A section discussing the New Deal, its effects on the depression, and the resonating behind it.
- 20th Century History: The Deal: Provides information about the New Deal, including its implementations and purpose.
- White House: Franklin D. Roosevelt: Government biography page about Roosevelt and his 12-year presidency.
- The New Deal's Achievements: Breaks down the programs that the New Deal set into place, their purpose, and their actual achievements.
- The New Deal Network: Some sections with more information about the New Deal including lessons, libraries, and other types of information.
- A New Deal for the Arts: Discusses special acts in the New Deal that dealt with preserving and promoting art classes.
- The New Deal Introduction: Explains what happened before the New Deal to set it into motion as well as the New Deal itself and its impact.
- New Deal Cultural Programs: Discusses the programs in the New Deal that dealt with certain cultural aspects.
- Constitution for the New Deal: Satirical article highlighting the New Deal and the problems that some officials had with it.
- Birth of the New Deal: Discusses the events that led to the conception of the New Deal.
- New Deal Acts: Outlines the individual acts, their intent, and their success.
- American President: Franklin Roosevelt: A page with documents related to Roosevelt’s presidency including a multimedia gallery and speeches.
- Roosevelt Presidency: A detailed look at Roosevelt’s presidency.
- Roosevelt Life Portrait: Another biography of Roosevelt providing information about his life before, during, and after his presidency.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt: Another page with information about Roosevelt and his presidency.
- Roosevelt's Impact and Legacy: Provides information about the legacy that President Roosevelt left behind.
- Roosevelt's Speeches: An audio archive of Roosevelt’s many important speeches.
- FDR and Polio - The Presidency: Discusses Roosevelt’s struggle with polio and the presidency.
- Roosevelt: NPS Page: Provides more information about Roosevelt and his presidency.
- Overview of the Depression: Discusses the broad impact of the Depression as well as its causes.
- The Great Depression: A great source of information about the Depression and the economic problems that caused it.
- The Depression's Effect on Children: Looks at how children suffered during the depression.
- Great Depression Outline: Gives a broad outline of the Great Depression and its effects.
- Documenting America: A collection of photographs from the Great Depression.
- Legacy of the Deal: Discusses the new government infrastructure that was set up in the New Deal.