National-Level Support for People With Cancer in the USA
The National Cancer Institute Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) report shows—for the year 2007—more than 11 million people in the US had been diagnosed, treated for or recovered from some type of invasive cancer. The total population of the United States at that time was approximately 302 million (according to the Population Reference Bureau). With the prevalence of cancer being so high, support groups are highly sought after. Patients, along with their families, friends and caregivers, must seek support during this difficult time in their lives. Survival rates and quality of life are said to be much better for patients with a strong support system. Caregivers who seek support are better able to help the patient in their time of need.
- American Cancer Society The ACS headquarters is located in Atlanta, Georgia; they have more than 3400 offices located nationwide. The ACS funds and conducts cancer research, as well as provides the public with pertinent information about cancer.
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Located in White Plains, New York, the goal of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) is to find a cure. They provide information on blood cancers as well as support services for patients.
- The Lymphoma Research Foundation With local chapters nationwide, the LRF continues to head up the fight against lymphoma. Main offices are located in New York and Los Angeles.
- National Brain Tumor Society A wealth of resources, the NBTS provides information for patients regarding brain tumors, treatment and supports systems nationwide. The West Coast office is located in San Francisco, CA and the East Coast office is located in Watertown, MA.
- Susan G.Komen for the Cure Susan G. Koman for the cure was headed up in 1982. They provide national level support for breast cancer patients. The headquarters is located in Dallas, Texas.
- National Cervical Cancer Coalition The NCCC (West Hills, CA) focuses on educating the public about cervical cancer. They also provide a nationwide support system for patients with HPV and cervical cancer.
- National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc. The mission of the NBCF is to help the public through education on early detection of breast cancer and to provide support services for patients. Frisco, Texas is home to the headquarters of the NBCF.
- American Childhood Cancer Organization Through advocacy, research and support services, the ACCO is an organization dedicated to children and their families. The ACCO is located in Kensington, MD.
- Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation A cure for child cancer through awareness and fundraising is the goal of the ALSF. Though the main office is located in Wynnewood, Pennsylvania, the AL SF is dedicated to helping families nationwide who have children battling cancer.
- Prostate Cancer Foundation Information on prostate—including symptoms, treatments and nationwide support groups—is available through the Prostate Cancer Foundation located in Santa Monica,CA.
- Cancer Care A nationwide resource for people with cancer including information on financial help, community programs and support groups. Support groups are available online, via telephone, or face-to-face. Cancer Care is located in New York, NY.
- Cancer Support Community The CSC offers online support 24 hours a day for patients with various types of cancer as well as their family and caregivers. The CSC is based in Washington DC.
- National Cancer Institute National Cancer Institute provides educational information on all types of cancer for children and adults. Resources include information on clinical trials, Cancer statistics and up-to-date research information. The NCI communications and education office is located in Bethesda,MD.
- National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship An advocacy center for cancer patients led by cancer survivors. The NCCS is located in Silver Spring, MD; they provide resources for coping with and surviving cancer.
- Lung Cancer Alliance lung cancer patients can find support and information through the LCA. A nonprofit organization headquartered in Washington, DC, the LCA continues its quest in organizing chapters throughout the states.
- Colon Cancer Alliance SCCA (Washington, DC)provides information on screening and prevention of colon cancer. It also provides a distinctive support system for patients.
- Kidney Cancer Association Renal cancer patients can gain knowledge regarding kidney cancer, therapies, clinical trials and surgical treatments. The KCA also provides information on support groups as well as fundraisers. The KCA was founded in Chicago.
Support Resources for Family Members of Cancer Patients
- Strength for Caring Information for caregivers of cancer patients. Strength for caring provides a support group for caregivers as well has a wealth of information and resources.
- Mothers Supporting Daughters with Breast Cancer Support and information for mothers of breast cancer patients. MSDBC is located in Chestertown, MD.
- Cancer.Net An online resource for family and friends of cancer patients, particularly caregivers. This support network offers tips on managing caregiving as well as dealing with the physical and emotional challenges. Information provided by the American Society of Clinical Oncology.